Summer Workshop 2018 • July 29 – August 4
“In my view, the individual style of any photographer can be determined by his approach to his subject, to visual language and to working with a model.
This workshop covers the entire spectrum of methods for directing a model on the shooting stage: from good quality natural posing to complicated project format, including the creation of specific characters for your story and the discipline of working to a strict brief.
Models are an essential part of every photographer’s work.Through interaction with the model, a photographer can express a personal vision of the human body.
In this workshop, you will learn to turn a photographic shoot into a live performance, a creative collaboration between photographer and model. You will explore ways to elicit real emotions from a model and how to convey character by working precisely on all the necessary aspects of psychology and body language.”
During the week, through regular critiques, demos, group and individual shoots, you will have the chance to learn the best way to create unique portraits and body photographs.
We will thoroughly examine many subjects, including:
Emotional and bodily freedom– Basic principles of posing
– Actor relaxation & breathing techniques
– Working with hands- classical techniques
– The most popular modelling poses– Models with no experience- how to teach model posing during the shooting
– Basic director skills – working with the voice , synchronizing with a model
– Classical and modern approach
– “What’s wrong with my face?” – three psychological blocks that models experience, and how they play out on the shooting stage
– Brief relaxation techniques, ‘if you’ve only got five minutes’
– How to read body language
– Manipulation of body language
– Distinctive qualities of a pose
– Gender peculiarities of posing styles
– natural vs unnatural posing?
– STATIC shooting and Semi –DYNAMIC shooting
– Setting a character and working with a brief – shooting preparation.
– Setting an acting goal for the model. Model briefing
– Expression and real emotions – actor and director tricks
– Meditative way of shooting-“deep dive” technique
– Author tricks
– Nuances of the nude genre
Method of working:
Almost all models who participate in projects have no modelling experience.
Story and characters are set in advance , but we will also use improvisation during the shooting stage. .
Ira Rokka – a fine art photographer, video director, teacher – was born in Moscow, graduated from the Music and Theatre College of Galina Vishnevskaya and the Moscow Government Institute of Culture and Art.
Ira’s education and professional experience became the foundation for an original system called “Director’s methods of working with a model» , based on basic director and actor skills.
Ira currently lives and works in Moscow, and Paris.
Works have been published and exhibited in Japan, USA, Italy , Switzerland, Germany, France , Russia.
Collaboration : Vogue Brasil, GQ Spain, Tod’s, Vogue Arabia, FRANCE 2 tv chanel , ,Kwaidan records ( Paris ) and other .
2017- Tokyo International Photography Award ( Tokyo, Japan) – 3 place ( people category), Сolor Awards ( Los- Angeles, USA ) honorable mention
2016 – International Photography Awards ( Los-Angeles, USA) – Honorable mention 3 categories
2015 – Monochrome photography awards –honorable mention (professional, nude category)
2014- International Photography Awards ( Los-Angeles, USA) – 1 st place (professional , special category)
2013- International Photography Awards ( Los-Angeles, USA) – 1 st place (professional , special category)